Thursday, April 10, 2014

Back in Mostly Black

We had a burst of weather that was surprisingly San Francisco-y, but I was determined to wear a short skirt:
Why live in Southern CA if I can't wear the things I couldn't wear in all my years in SF? :D Well, I guess the much better Japanese food is a good argument, too. (the ramen in SF sucks)
Japanese print skirt: ecoté (Urban Outfitters) size 6 on eBay
Over the knee boots: Ros Hommerson (6pm.com, gift from Dad)
Cardigan: Candie's (thrifted)
Fan necklace: Joan Rivers (thrifted)

I love this Japanese-style print skirt. I bought it several years ago for on super sale, and I still haven't figured out what to wear it with besides all black or a plain teal shirt. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Wide shoe review (review and link not sponsored)

The over the knee Topic boots are WW width from Ros Hommerson, but they come in regular width and wide calf as well. I often have problems with my feet floating in extra wide shoes, because while mine are wide along the x axis at the toes, they're not on the y axis (up and down). Add small ankles and bony heels, and you get shoes that fit at the sides of the feet but that are too roomy everywhere else.

These aren't too bad. They're too big at the instep and ankle, but up at the toes they are fitted enough that my foot isn't floating free.  A set of heel gel inserts to boost my heels a little made the fit much better.

And of course, they are massively marked down and they can fold down or go over the knee. Love.
Personal stuff:

I was all ready to resume blogging on a regular basis, took these photos, then went to a wedding and got a resurgence of a nasty bug. Three weeks later (gyargh!) I am on the mend. Return to blogging, take two!

Also, I need a dang haircut. It's been over a year. I stopped because money. My brother is kindly buying me a haircut for my birthday. :D Lastly, I have been taking care of this 15 lb. sack of sugar for my father:
She was a stray, she's sweet, and very used to being doted on. I grew up with the affection but independence of cats. This dog stands at my heels at all times, follows me from room to room and puts her head under my hand whenever she can reach it.  Sometimes I sit her down, look into her eyes, and tell her she can't keep looking to others for happiness and that she needs to pursue her own path to fulfillment. Then she tries to lick my nose. *sigh*

17 comments:

  1. That skirt is really beautiful! Your hair looks great IMO, don't cut too much. I envy anyone with a long hair, especially if it happens to be naturally black. What a cutie of a dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm echoing everything Lara said. It's a beautiful skirt, which of course you can also wear with hot pink though I don't really see you in hot pink. Why does your hair need cutting? It looks great, but of course if it's not the way you want it then you should get it done. It's nice to get your hair done and feel sort of pampered. Wee doggie is adorable! My cat thinks she's a dog and behaves pretty much the way you just described the dog.
    I'm glad you are feeling better and happy to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for the shockingly unexpected--as someone once said, it just has to go, it doesn't have to match. What about the skirt with a white tank top and a bright yellow, lime green, or orange cardigan? Bare legs, black sandals. And I don't know whether to thank you or yell at you, because your mention of the Ros Hommerson boots and how they actually fit wide forefeet made me go waste time browsing a few sites, and woudn't you know, I bought a pair of Ros Hommerson sandals. Super-deep discount, yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo! Tell me how they turn out; I'm curious about the brand now that I've tried and like their boots.

      Delete
  4. The puppy is just adorable. I would like to get a dog but had to resort to naming one of my houseplants Mr. Whiskers instead. It's practically the same.

    For the skirt. Pink stripes. Or something citron if you like the color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweetheart brother to buy you a haircut. If you're unsure about what to wear with the skirt, any colour that's in the fabric would look great. And your boots are incredible.
    I can picture you lecturing "Sugar" about Life. Laugh! I think all the world's top politicians should take cute dogs to their summit meetings. Who could have conflict under these conditions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Japanese print skirt! The colors are fab and it looks really great on you! It stands out really well against the black - I would say you could definitely go with a teal or even a pink top with it too though. So very kind of your brother to buy you a haircut! The dog is so cute! I am used to the independence of cats too though, it is easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is my kind of a skirt, love it! Such an amazing print! I think it looks its best against black colour. Perhaps it will look great with a white top as well + a blue cardigan. I like your necklace here too, so cute. And cute is the little doggy, adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG PUPPY!! :D

    I love that necklace, and that skirt is cuuuute! I would try a white button-up, or even a plain white t-shirt and sandals or something. You could also try a top in that pink/coral shade that those flowers are as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute doggie! She would drive me crazy.

    The skirt is gorgeous - what a pretty print. I think you should wear a Breton striped shirt with that skirt, or else polka dots. They'll go with any patterns, and would make an interesting contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I adore her, but she drives me a little crazy, too. I've banned her from following me upstairs and into my room so I get some space. At some point, I tell myself, the whining and crying noises when I am out of sight will stop.

      Delete
  10. That is what is BEST about dogs! I'm not a cat person because I think they actually despise people and only "put up" with them to get fed. They are so arrogant! LOL

    Love the pattern and colours on the skirt! What about choosing that purple/blue colour from the skirt for a top? I bet that colour looks great on you.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a cat girl all the way (for the very reasons Suzanne says above, I love that "fuck you" attitude!) even I think that pup is a cutie. But yes, she needs a pep (pup?) talk or two about external validation. Keep trying!
    I love the skirt! I tend to be rather conventional and pick out the colour from the print, so blue, green or deep pink are obvious choices. But as others have said, there is no reason you couldn't go for a complete contrast, and or another print. Try it! The boots are kick ass. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, pick out another colour from the skirt (I would go with a shade of the pink, but that's just me). The dog is sweet, but I loathe that slavish devotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. I am so much more used to a pet's sweetness and affection, but the ability to go off and do his own thing for much of the time. I will look up dog independence online to try to train her.

      Delete
  13. Love that skirt too!! The print is amazing and it looks really good on you. I can see it with a shirt with medium-ish stripes; I'd probably do black and white just because I love that combination, and it would be nicely graphic against the skirt. The dog picture is hilarious, especially with your somewhat ambivalent (?) commentary. I'm a cat person, so I understand. :-) Happy birthday, soon?

    ReplyDelete
  14. you look great in knee high boots.

    ReplyDelete