Sunday, November 3, 2013

American Gothic Lolita

  Happy Sunday, everyone! Today is my entry for Spygirl's (Paint it) Black challenge. I'm also linking to Not Dead Yet Style's Visible Monday, because I felt pretty visible in this outfit. I already submitted my fedora outfit to Style Crone's Hat Attack, but go check it out for a parade of gorgeous headgear!
Black lace dress: Taunt (eBay)
Blazer w/pink pinstripes: Guess (thrifted)
Platform boots: ALDO (thrifted)
Fascinator: Cara New York (Nordstrom, old)
Kokeshi necklace: AGATHA Paris (gift from Cathy)

  What do you think? I thought it was a little Gothic Lolita, but in an everyday way. I hope to get more wear out of this dress by styling it down.

  After only 32 years, I feel confident enough to wear red lipstick! Here's how the outfit got put together. I started with a clingy black lace dress I love but never have the occasion to wear:
  The inner hem is very short, but the lace handkerchief overlayer makes me feel safe. Sexy is not flashing your underwear. (; I added thrifted platform boots by ALDO (roomy, square toe boxes!)
  Then for warmth I added this gorgeous Guess blazer. It's got all sorts of old fashioned details, like ruffle hem and princess sleeves, and the pinstripes are pink! Thrifted it years ago, no idea what it goes with, so I'm going to try everything.
  It's cut higher in the back, which makes it harder to wear over trousers, but it makes a nice proportion over the dress.
  Then add necklace and fascinator! Any excuse to wear my fascinator.
  Here's a closeup of the fabric and the sleeve embroidery. It unfortunately makes it impossible to shorten the sleeves, but the alternative is not having it, so I will deal. :D
  Lastly, I tried a femme fatale makeup look yesterday. I thought the liquid black sparkle eyeliner was pretty overt, but in this test shot (I check the lighting) it's still very subtle. Maybe I will try a heavier hand and venture above the lash line.
Fisheye! ... kinda.
  Have a great rest-of-weekend everyone! Don't forget to check out my half anniversary giveaway in the post below. Couturgatory's 6 months old now and counting!

11 comments:

  1. Ooh I love this! That blazer is super sweet and the fascinator is so fabulous.

    You need to be wearing red lips all the time.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Suzanne! I was so self-conscious of my red lips and pale (compared to other Asian friends) skin when I was a teenager. Now I'ma embrace it. :D

      Delete
  2. Love this look! The gothy dress is great paired with the retro blazer. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fascinator! You look fantastic and thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great outfit, Aya! I love that you've layered this cute blazer over the dress to get some more mileage out of it - well done! Your makeup is awesome. Ally is right - you were made for red lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh! Love! I wish I could wear strapless, clingy dresses... But deal with what you got, I guess. And the blazer... so unique and beautiful. Red lipstick looks great on you. And the eye make-up looks very subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! Excellent idea ... have been dragging out dressier items and taking them to a more casual outing. They seem to dig it. That little dress is smiling ... so happy to see the sun and make besties with that perfect jacket. Every element a winner. Just love your thinking about your clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this look, lace and tweed plus the fascinator, real cute Aya
    Go go girl with the lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The detailing the sleeves is so terrifically pretty! It would be marvelous if it was just the embroidery, but the gems bump it up to a whole 'nother eye-catchingly beautiful level. Love this whole look - the world need more black lace dress + tailored blazer ensembles.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo, classy with the jacket and SEXY without! Great look!

    ReplyDelete