Monday, June 24, 2013

Rainy Day Blues

  I'm back to my old palette. :D While trying out new colors I've never worn before has been a lot of fun, going back to my familiar colors feels confident and happy. PLUS I got to try this denim on top and bottom I've heard of on other style blogs. It's a win-win-win situation! I love style blogging. :D
  It's raining today in SF. I busted out my newly-hemmed ZARA basic dept skinny jeans. It might show in the photos that I screwed up when hemming these. I cut one leg on the new hem line, not the 2nd line I'd conveniently drawn below it for guidance. ): I have hemmed dozens of my trousers and it's the first time I've done that, haha. Oh well, they're dark and will usually be in boots.
  The dress is strapless, which doesn't suit rain so well, so I tied off the alternative apparel overshirt last seen here with a silver leaf ring. The dress has cool zipper halves sewn in a spiraling pattern down the front, and fortunately for any jackets and chairs involved, not the back. It also has built-in padding in the front! I was instantly won over.

  Leggings and skinny jeans under short garments was a revelation for me. I tried to go for a look that is form-fitting and sexy but not overstuffed sausage.
The story of every pair of pants in my life
  Summer school starts for me Monday, so I don't know how much style blogging I'll be able to do, as class is from 9:30am until 10:00pm four days a week. If you look on Twitter and my last post is "AAAAAUUUGGH" then you will know Chemistry has eaten me alive. I would like my epitaph to read 'She tried to get into grad school. [swear] this economy.'

Dress: Do & Be (thrifted) dark grey version size S on eBay
Skinny jeans: ZARA basic (thrifted)
Overshirt: alternative apparel VintageSoft (thrifted)
Boots: Naya Lark (eBay) some on eBay
Ring: Silver of the Valley (etsy, shop defunct)
Necklace: Metropolitan Museum of Art store (gift)

5 comments:

  1. It's great fun to watch your experiments in style. You have talent for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ally! I really enjoy making things and putting outfits together, but sometimes I feel I haven't much way of gauging my success because I don't see other people dressing the same way. Input from all of you is so helpful.

      Delete
  2. I've just about sworn off strapless dresses, because I don't think they suit me ... but you're making me reconsider! I love the zipper detail and fabric. I also like how you used a ring to tie the shirt ... I will have to try that trick soon.
    We don't usually have the weather for it, but when I can I like wearing leggings under my shorter dresses or skirts, usually with a pair of boots. It's a great way to pull off sophisticated sexy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always worry about strapless dresses falling down, so I thought some sort of support tied right under the chest might help. It was comfortable. (:

      Delete
  3. This outfit is so lovely! And so elongating! I never would have thought to pair skinny jeans with a dress. You look fantastic! Exclamation mark!

    ReplyDelete