Sunday, October 20, 2013

Athletic Ninja

  Last week, I was a participant in the studies we are doing for senior research at school. I had to wear all black and shorts for mo-cap and for electrodes. Well, the athletic ninja look is so last season and no one wears all black after Overthrow the Shogunate Day (and my bike shorts are really short!) so I added a wide leather belt, two silver scarves, and a coverup silk dress by 4 Love and Liberty.
Dress: 4 Love and Liberty (gift from Megan Mae)
Belt: évenément (thrifted, Japan)
Scarves: Fair Indigo and forgotten junior shop (v. old)
Toe shoes: Vibram (The CAMP at Costa Mesa)

  Yes, this is yet another gift from the wonderful Megan Mae! This week was evidently the Megan Mae Festival. I wish someone had told me in advance; I could have baked cupcakes and sewn a flag.

  I love shirt shells, so I should love dress shells too, right? RIGHT. This thing is incredibly comfortable and in my favorite shade of 'Depression Blue' (friend coined it, I love it.)  There are little loops in the back, so I will add some ties when I find a suitably pretty ribbon.
  I also took a shot of my athletic shoes, since I don't know how often they're seen outside of my area. They're common enough here that people know the brand and recognize them on sight, but they're predominantly worn by middle class young people (the people who have the time and income to think of their health.) I love them because as someone with very wide feet, it's the first time I've practiced stances in martial arts and not had my feet cramp because the distal half is being vise-gripped into a block by my shoe. Also they were 65% off and the purple is cute. I get a lot of comments on them. (:

  How did you spend Megan Mae Week?

11 comments:

  1. The dress shell is so pretty, and the silver accents look great. :) What was notable about Megan Mae week for me was that we came back from fall break (the students were pretty grumpy and tired that first day!) and that we had professional development (yay for A/C and time to grab a pho lunch, boo for brain overload).
    I've always wondered about the comfort level of those kinds of shoes! I've seen people wearing Vibrams here for walking/running and always wondered what kind of arch support they have - they seem so foot-hugging and minimal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall break?! Oh man, I want one of those. :D

      They have good arch support, actually! The soles are thin but the material is flexible and molded. You can feel the terrain you're traveling on but you feel protected and supported. They'd definitely take getting used to for more than a few hours of wushu practice, though.

      Delete
  2. I spent Megan Mae week extolling the virtues of our mutual friend to anyone who'd listen. Now some people think I'm in a cult...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think I can relate. I recommend a former professor's class to people with the fervor and intensity of a crazy religious person. This professor is so awesome! ... and I probably look like a nut. :D

      Delete
  3. You are divinely creative and your commentary is always exquisite. Love the athletic shoes and I've seen them around. They look like gloves for the feet, and that is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I love how this turned out. I'm so glad I sent that to you. It looks surprisingly cool with your Vibrams. I've seen them pretty often on college campus.

    For my own MM week, I packaged up some more goodies to send off to my blogging buddies (including another small package for you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness gracious, it's getting to be like Christmas every day around here!

      Delete
  5. I think you look lovely, and as another recipient of gifts from Megan, she has excellent taste! I'm sorry, however, but those shoes...*shudder*...I can't handle the toes. I see people here wearing them and I just have to look away! Lol, totally my own thing, not you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, completely understood. The toes are quite distracting. I promise I only wear them for athletic practice. :D

      Delete
  6. Love your look, down to your toes. Purple toes. What an odd thing they wanted you to do ...electrodes, you say!? Some folks get off on that, I suppose ... ew.
    I spent Megan Mae week working on plumbing. All better now! I gotta go find out what she's up to ... thank you, Lovely Aya, for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it was measuring EMG- electrical signals sent to large muscle groups during high-intensity interval training. It was pretty grueling! They had reps of five exercises and you had to get your heart rate up to maximum and sustain it for 5 minutes while doing burpees, squats, bicep curls, pushups, and v-ups. There's a picture of me somewhere in all the getup. :D

      Delete