Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Eye Want Candy

  This embroidered Eye Candy dress is roll-around-in-the-grass-laughing comfortable. I got it a few weeks ago at the clothing swap I wrote about here. In the glorious sunlight I wore it with a big floppy straw hat and sandals while not shutting up about the weather for the entire month of September.
Dress: Eye Candy (clothing swap)
Kimmel cardigan: Moth (thrifted, lots of colors/sizes eBay)
 Denim & leather purse: Giudit (thrifted)
 Lagoon sandals: Eastland (available here)
Straw hat: Nature & Découvertes (Paris)
Accessories: necklace (H&M in Paris), flower clip (found on street)
  I've never been into purses, but this Giudit leather and denim bag instantly caught my attention in the thrift shop last year. It's feminine and cute without being twee, and practical- I can scan my transit card without taking my wallet out if I align it correctly. A long shoulder strap came tucked inside, so I can make it a crossbody bag, my favored type.

  Because this is a loose sheath dress, I thought a cropped cardigan would complement the waistline and length while flattering broad shoulders. V-necks also look good layered over straight-across necklines. The straight-across neckline doesn't always look the great with broad shoulders, but the straps and the flower hair clip I stuck at the top balance it, I think.

  I tried the v-neck over straight-across neckline a few posts ago with the Ann Taylor superpose deal over that shirt that went with nothing. If you haven't seen it, Inside Out Style has a super handy graphic on layering your necklines. Man what I wouldn't have given for that during my bizarre and random layering experiments a few years ago!

  It is so temperate this month that I just wore this into the late afternoon, continuing my courageous foray into the world of knit garments. Check out the interesting straps at the shoulders/upper back:
Japanese cleavage!
  As I mentioned in my other post, the former owner of this dress and I have pretty different body types. She was half a foot taller than I, for one. I guess her curviness and my Sampson-esque rib structure matched up though, because this dress fits me comfortably on top, which is a rare thing. Whee! I can fling my arms out and take deep breaths and everything!

  ... she also cut some stitches in the back to make walking easier, which I didn't discover until I wore it to school the first time. The height of the walking slit was a little scandalous on me. -_- Serve me right for ranting about leggings-as-pants, I guess! Sorry, innocent passers-by.

  Happy middle-of-the-week, everyone. (:

10 comments:

  1. Pretty bag. And you get extra points for using the word "twee". :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I have to give my points to Salazar of 14 Shades of Grey, though. She uses the term often and that's how I learned it.

      Delete
  2. I think she gets extra points for "Japanese Cleavage" I never laughed so hard.
    Celtic Lass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad people get it! It's the first thing I think whenever I wear something that leaves the back of my neck and shoulders bare.

      Delete
  3. Aww that dress looks fantastic on you! Also thanks for the heads up on the layering link. I'm always trying to figure out how to layer more effectively.

    Also love the back of that cardigan! I've found a few Moth pieces while thrifting, but the fiber content is never in my favor. Boo itchy wools!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They must make *a lot* of stuff. When I did a quick search on eBay, a ton turned up. I think this is my second Moth item. Funny you mention itchy- I bought these because they were decidedly un-itchy cardigans!

      Delete
  4. you look stunning in that dress, and I love the bag! :-) I'm short so I've had a few pieces with slits that always seem higher and, like you did, I somehow never manage to notice until I'm wearing it. in public. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So *you* will understand the funny awkward walk I was doing all the way home! :D

      Delete
  5. Cute! I think your cardigan-experimentations are working! At least, you look great in them!

    That bag is pretty sweet! I unfortunately pack so much sh..er... stuff for my day, I require a backpack worthy of a mountaineer. Small bags and purses sadly just don't do it for me. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :D I think the trick is you may think you don't care for an item, but sometimes you haven't found one you like yet, is all.

      I still look at the modern styles that are out in all the stores and don't see things I like. I find random things I like in thrift shops much more frequently, and it ended up expanding my wardrobe a lot.

      Delete