Friday, October 11, 2013

Casual Punk

I came up with this while trying to make an outfit around a different skirt:
  Of course, it wasn't school-appropriate, so I changed. But the moment is immortalized here!
Flutter sleeve shirt: Derek Heart (thrifted)
Embroidered skirt: PSSST (v. old)
Navy leather jacket: Laundry by Shelli Segal (gift)
Cap: Nine West (old)
Boots: ALDO (thrifted)
Sage wrap bracelet: Foxy originals
Pewter leaf necklace (H&M in Paris)

  I've had this skirt half my life, now. My friend Diana and I bought the same skirt when we were teenagers at Macy's. Blue cherry blossoms! How could I resist? It was $16.99, which was a little steep for my allowance(!) but I decided to splurge.

  I've not worn it before now because it's tight and short, and I've always been a little self-conscious of my thighs, but I see style bloggers with muscles rocking the short-skirt-boots look, and I really like it. I find it both sexy and strong, so I've decided this combination is not just for the delicate of limb. Are there looks you have decided to try after reading style blogs, or just decided to try as your style evolved?

9 comments:

  1. I'm still trying the cuffed jeans with ankle boots look that I see on other bloggers. I'm not sure I've ever done it in a way that feels right to me but I like the look so it's something I'll probably keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the short skirt-strong legs combo, and the straps of your (cami(?) add a lot of visual interest when paired with the flutter-sleeve top. Reading style blogs has encouraged me to dabble in pattern mixing, as well as to be more open-minded about experimenting with colors and silhouettes. I've also gotten more interested in statement necklaces and bolder pieces of jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I was hoping it didn't look too much like a bra. It's a racerback crop top with lace in back. I like lots of lines near the shoulders and neck, I realize.

      I think I'm right with you on the silhouettes and bolder pieces of jewelry. And Gracey totally got me started looking for brooches.

      Delete
  3. I like the look, too. Seeing others succeed at something can give us courage to try it. One of the reasons I like your blog so much is because you try new things and experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ally! It's what drew me to your blog, as well. I find some blogs seem to do the same outlines and types of outfit each time, and my own reading taste is for experimentation and variety. :D It's the spice of life!

      Delete
  4. Lovelovelove this look! I think you have great legs! Then again, I personally love a strong muscled leg in boots. Mmmm bad ass. I'm actually preferential to ankle boots because I feel like they bulk up my skinny stems some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised when a lot of petite/short/stocky style tips advised against boots. I like stocky legs in boots a lot! It's funny how our perceptions of ourselves can be things others don't notice, right? I would not have described your legs as skinny!

      Delete
  5. Hey Aya ... I would kill for your body ... You look really cute in this outfit and you have gorgeous legs so keep experimenting and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Lynn! Heck of a compliment to kick my week off. :D I love the supportive blogger community.

      Delete