Saturday, September 14, 2013

Tea Time

Today is the day I participate in Spy Girl's Coffee Klatch and Tea Party challenge! I've been looking forward to this since she posted it.

Big super secret* sharing time: I love tea.
This is one of my very favorite tea cups.

  Trivia for you: Americans often say "high tea" when referring to afternoon tea. Afternoon tea is the deal with the little sandwiches and delightful snacks and cookies. High tea is actually a working class meal in the evening. This has been driving me crazy for years, and now it can drive you crazy, too.

  Anne's challenge was twofold: first, I had to figure out how to dress to match the cup, and then I had to clean all of my school crap off the dining table so I could take a picture. Pieces of a decalin model can be seen lurking in the background.
Blouse: unknown (thrifted)
Skirt: Odille (eBay)
Scarf: vintage Oscar de la Renta (inherited)
Earrings, watch: CostPlus World Market

  Make that threefold: what on earth goes with this darn green-and-purple skirt? Maybe a soft pink button-down? It's one of those lovely Anthropologie brands I picked up used several years ago and it goes with nothing I can find. It probably had some special top designed to match it in the store. That's how they get you!
  I love the embroidery on this blouse. Now if I could just figure out how to get it so it doesn't make a balloon in the back large enough to smuggle a small child in.

  This is a scarf I inherited from my grandmother. It says Oscar de la Renta and it's made in Japan. It still had the original price tag on it. I clipped it off but kept it. The best part about the scarf is when I tie it around my neck, it still smells faintly of Grandma's house.

  I hear my great grandmother was very fashionable. My aunts both dress like farmers, and my father dresses in such a way that he has been mistaken by his workplace security for homeless more than once, so upon going through the house several years ago, when my aunts found feminine fancy things, they asked me if I wanted them.

  I found this photo of my father's side of the family in a digital archive. It was taken in 1930. That's my grandmother, standing between her two brothers. She's only twenty years old here!  Sometimes when I am doing photo editing for this blog, I see a resemblance. I see the resemblance to my aunt, her eldest daughter, too. Miss you, Grandma.

* Where by "super secret" I mean "obvious statement"

6 comments:

  1. So cool! What a great post. And your grandma was a cutie. Tea is one of nature's gifts; I love it daily. Your outfit is so smartly chosen. Your blog has quickly become one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh! A fantastic interpretation!
    I think you have the same smile as your grandma.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH WOW! What an amazing photo. I still need to get in touch with my grandmother for pictures of my Nana (great-GM). She and her hubby were super styin' back in the day.

    Your whole look is positively incredible. It makes me think of fresh spring time with hints of musky old books and warm tea with lemon slices. As for the blouse, you could take it up from the inside. Or add little loops on the outside to string up ribbon for a corset-look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool photo that last one is...and I do think I see a resemblance. I had not known the difference between tea and high tea. Thank you for explaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture of your grandma is a treasure - it always amazes me how much care and pride people put into dressing way back when. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds (and looks) like you inherited your fashion sense from your grandmother. It's wonderful that you beautiful things to remember her with. Great tea outfit!

    ReplyDelete